The Government of Sierra Leone’s COVID-19 National Response Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) spokesperson, Solomon Jamiru (Esq), has confirmed that the country has lost its first community health professional to COVID-19.
Jamiru was speaking at a regular status update of COVID-19 in the country held at the EOC in Freetown. He confirmed that the health worker was the index case reported in Bo, a district in the south of the country. “As of 4th May 2020,” he said, “that first index case has now become the death case, so we now have 9 deaths.”
He also informed the press that the EOC has registered 12 new active cases bringing the total of cumulative confirmed cases to 178.
He explained further that all 12 new active cases are linked to Western Area, the district that has recorded more COVID-19 cases since the outbreak of the virus in the country in March.
Jamiru said that, so far, the EOC has discharged 1,721 people after completing the quarantine period. There are 37 confirmed recoveries and 1,385 people still in quarantine.
Meanwhile, the country is in a lockdown period, which started on Sunday 3rd May and is due to end on Tuesday 5th May.